Narrating the correlation of elephants as related to their import, groupings, breeding and transfers,
along with other elephant related topics.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Candy Hitchcock Collection - Dahlip


Hi Ryan,
This is Dahlip and me. He was about 6 years old then. I have a really wonderful photo of Dixie and me which I will scan and send. I’ll dig around to see if I can find any others.

"I worked as an assistant to Bill Doss, the elephant trainer at the Crandon Park Zoo in 1974-75. I took care of 3 elephants. Seetna and Dahlip were a young pair that had been imported from India. Dixie was the zoo's first elephant and about 20 when I knew her."
Courtesy of C Hitchcock

Such a long time ago! I was totally immersed! Even bought a book from Ceylon – it was still called that – about the mahouts and how they trained the elephants.

Did you know that Doss – that’s what all of us zookeepers called him - started out training the big cats like you?

All the best.

Candy (Norton) Hitchcock

For further information:
"Bulls of Zoo Miami" at ShowMe Elephants

No comments:

Post a Comment

I eagerly anticipate associating with new individuals with an interest or history in elephants, elephant history and elephant record keeping. If you have further information regarding the animals or locations questioned in the article, please leave a comment or message me in an effort to complete their records for elephant historians.