Narrating the correlation of elephants as related to their import, groupings, breeding and transfers,
along with other elephant related topics.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Six Flags Great Adventure

In 1974, Gary Hill picked out 25 baby African elephants for the opening of Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. We are looking to compile the complete list of names brought back from the Chipperfield station.



6 males - Bongo, Boss, Kenga, Rip, Richard, Kruma?
19 females - Sheila, Barbara, Gloria, Debbie, Tina, Patty, Chobe, Angela, Mimi, Kandida, Panya ( cyclotis ), x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6, x7, x8 ( died upon arrival )

4 females were added from Parc Safari Africain in Canada- Tanya, Bertha, Targa, Lucy, making a total of 28 at the New Jersey park.

We are searching for the remaining eight names.

3 comments:

  1. From Gary Hill:

    Ok Ryan, I hit pay dirt..here goes..if my printer would work with my new computer I would just scan but because they don't work together... OK here is MY list I make in Africa, there are changes to some names so here goes..Kwanza( who I am sure I changed her name so give me time .) Angela, Susan, Phrisca became Gloria...Bongo, Kenga, Mimi, Rosa, Chobe, Dina,Tessa, Tiki, Richard, Rip, Boss, Kandida, Panya, Debbie,BiBi, Dimiti, Fina, Karuma, Maria, and Sandra...there are the missin names. Mede.was the name of the lost one... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,
    Why does the database list 17 kept, with 6 deaths, and 8 unknown's?

    Wade Burck

    ReplyDelete

  3. Wade,
    I have not updated the database with Gary's new information yet. Between his name list from Africa and what is listed in the Studbook, there are still discrepancies regarding name changes. As for the "Unknowns," all the living animals at the park should be labeled in Protected Contact.

    On a side note, I met Charlie Kelton yesterday and learned more regarding his elephants we discussed on your blog several years ago.

    ReplyDelete

I eagerly anticipate associating with new individuals with an interest or history in elephants, elephant history and elephant record keeping. If you have further information regarding the animals or locations questioned in the article, please leave a comment or message me in an effort to complete their records for elephant historians.