Narrating the correlation of elephants as related to their import, groupings, breeding and transfers,
along with other elephant related topics.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Ringling Blue Unit 1987 - Elephants II

The following photographs were taken in August 1987 in Dallas, Texas, of the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus (Blue Unit).

Courtesy of M Easley

Courtesy of M Easley

Courtesy of M Easley

Courtesy of M Easley

Courtesy of M Easley


A listing of these 20 elephants can be found courtesy of Eric Beheim via Buckles Blog.
Blue Show herd 1986 (In order of seniority)
Siam - India - Calcutta - Jewel - Lucy - Betty - Rani - Suzanne - Jenny - Targa - Kernaudi - Roma - Putsie - Karen - Carmen - Sophie - Bonnie - Nicole - Icky - Alana

>> "Blue Show 1986 #1 (From Eric Beheim)," Buckles Blog, 01/14/2009

4 comments:

  1. Radar,
    This was my 4th year on the show. These three ring's of elephants are probably the most underrated in all of show business. Axel was a quiet, unassuming man and didn't hang paper, which is a shame because he and his talent's are often over looked. In the past I told you about the "backward walking long mount" that he trained and never used in the show. Only practiced it now and again in the parking lot.


    Wade Burck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I do not recall the "backward walking long mount" you told me about, but that must have been a sight to see. Can you tell us who worked each ring of elephants? I notice Carmen is omitted from Circus Report's Elephant Census the following year. Bob Cline states the former Billy Smart elephant died in 1987. The studbook lists the same, but omits a previous location for the 12 year old before her arrival to Ringling in 1972.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, if my memory serves Michael Gautier was in charge of one ring. He was probably about 22 then. I'll look for my old photos, as I traveled with them that summer in '87. I agree with you Wade, Axel was a great guy and his sons were fine young men. Michael even suggested to his dad that I be taken on as an apprentice trainer since I spent all my free time with the elephants and got along so well with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there in '87 117th Ed. IIRC Axel was center ring, Michael was Ring 3 and Kevin was Ring 1. That was the year we had King Tusk and I recall the Lilov Bears, the Flying Vasquez. Wasn't that you with the big Cats Wade? Who could forget Marco and Phillip Peters and the Wheel of Death? Heck I even remember their tigers names, Ceaser, Bimbo and Sasha. I also remember a time part of my leg was in Sasha's mouth, as she stepped from the wheel during a show. Ah how I miss those fun times.

    ReplyDelete

I eagerly anticipate associating with new individuals with an interest or history in elephants, elephant history and elephant record keeping. If you have further information regarding the animals or locations questioned in the article, please leave a comment or message me in an effort to complete their records for elephant historians.